Saturday, September 5, 2009

Authentic Joy


This past week, I checked off another of my 2009 Objectives. Honestly, one that I was convinced had eluded me - see this post if you don't believe me.

The week started off brutal - I had crazy sinus issues and could not shake them as the day approached. Left work early Tuesday, went to bed at 7:30, took lots of medicine with pseudoephedrine (you know the kind you have to show ID to buy) and prayed for the best.

Well the best arrived in the way of an awesome opportunity to speak to the Sport Illinois Huddle 2009.

It was a great morning and I believe I struck a nerve with my many "main points". The pace of the talk was good, interaction was high and I was well within my time constraints with plenty of time for participant questions and not nearly enough time to network when I was finished. I was "at home" at the podium Wednesday morning.

What has really resonated with me for the rest of the week is this - I still did not wake up feeling that great but the moment I took the podium - the adrenaline carried me and I was well for the 45 minutes I spoke. I even generated enough adrenaline to fuel me through a previously planned afternoon activity with about 25 of my closest work partners.

That ONLY happens when you do something you love. Something that brings you authentic joy.

Dictionary says joy is the emotion evoked by well-being, success or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires.

Yes - it was satisfying to accomplish something I set out to do this year. Without question.

However - it was sheer joy to be transferring knowledge to the attendees of the Sports Illinois Huddle 2009.

I love doing that and will look forward to creating more opportunities to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment