Thursday, November 18, 2010

Contentment: The Underrated Sibling of Happiness

I tweeted no less than 10 articles that refer to happiness in the last 30 days.

It seems as though - everyone is talking about it lately - especially since Zappos CEO, Tony Hsieh's NY Times Bestseller "Delivering Happiness" hit the shelves this past June.

Huge fan of Tony's and what he has done at Zappos - one of THE driving inspirations for Relationships Matter Now, LLC - no question.

But I wanted to post today on the "contentment" because I think it is the underrated sibling to happiness.

Dictionary says contentment is:

"The quality or state of being contented." And contented is defined as:

"feeling or showing satisfaction with one's possessions, status, or situation "

This past week - I started my "Rumba a la Cuarenta" or my Rumble to Age 40. We all know that as we approach the BIG 4-0 - we reflect more than normal which for me has been ridiculous, considering how much I reflect anyways. One of the big discoveries I came across this week in reflecting on the last year of my life - personally ,professionally - relationally - the best way to describe my life is contented.

There is a peace. A joy even.

The struggle of starting my company. Being a wife, mom to two active children and volunteer in my church - all while holding a full-time job and serving on the local village board. Of course, there are ups and downs - highs and lows. Triumphs, hurts, victories, disappointments but overall - I am content. And I want to encourage others today to be content. No offense to happiness but contentment is great thing to strive for.

Does this mean I am not driving toward my business goals with brute force and tenacity?
No
Does this mean my marriage isfine so I am no longer "working" to make it better?
No
Does this mean the other relationships in my life are all humming along w/ no need for care?
No

I think sometimes in America we misuse the word content and confuse it with something that is less than it's true dictionary meaning. Like - "settling" or "stagnation" So today - I ask you to consider your life and consider if contentment - "feeling or showing satisfaction with one's possessions, status, or situation"-  is an option for you.

For me - discovering contentment in all areas of my life over the past year has opened the door to happiness, peace and joy as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment