Monday, May 7, 2012

My Shoutout To The "Moms" Of My Life

Mom. Momma. Mommy.

Which ever you use, they all mean the same... they are attached to a woman in your life that means a lot to you, to whom you give a certain reverence. Not all moms are biological. In fact, many are not.

Being a motherless daughter since I was 4 years old, I have many "moms" who have blessed my life and filled the void left by my mom's passing. Each have contributed to making me the mom I am today to Emma and Evan. And while I can never actually call someone else "mom, " I want to take a moment to thank all the women who have been moms to me throughout my life.

Lois
Emma
Rose
Gloria
Rachel
Karen
Frances
LeAnn
Barbara
Susan
Paula
Charlene

These are women from all walks of life, from all eras of my life - some related, most not. Each contributing in a positive way to my development and well being. I have always had a complicated relationship with the idea of mom having lost mine so young. However, I am so grateful to have had so many women step up and lend a hand.

This time of year is quite difficult for some people,  especially those without mothers or who have little to no relationship with their mothers. Even harder for those who would love to be mothers and haven't yet been able to achieve it. I encourage you to use this Mother's Day to look for the "moms" in your life if you are without one physically or emotionally. Or step up and be a "mother" to someone who needs one. Pain is inevitable especially as it relates to this topic. However, suffering because of it is optional.

Before becoming a mom, as a single woman I used to celebrate Mother's Day by buying myself a piece of jewelry in honor of my future motherhood. I also volunteered in a PADS shelters helping homeless moms and brought them basic necessities at this time of year.

Mother's Day is what you make it. Make this one a great one.


No comments:

Post a Comment