Tuesday, December 4, 2012

From Here To Your Life's Work: Step 5 - Make A Bold Move

Fifth and final step toward your life's work
We've come to the place in the journey where the rubber meets to road.

Do you really believe you've found your life's work?

Are you ready to take a gamble on yourself?

Will you make a move that scares you?

Regardless your answers to those questions, you at this point and you need to answer them honestly.

Over the last few weeks, we've journeyed through the main topics of my book, From Here to There: 5 Steps To Doing Your Life's Work Every Day. The final step in the journey comes easy for some.

After spending the time to find your voice, build the tribe, start something and committing to using your best talents daily - the final step just presents itself and many will grab the opportunity. Or it could take time practically pass you by like it happened for me.

While I was starting stuff and using my talents daily, the "bold move" took more than a full year to manifest itself for me. I contend that this step is actually a series of small bold moves that allow you to take comfort in your direction.

Had I not started making small bold moves before the fall of 2011, I am pretty sure I would not have recognized the bold, bold move when it appeared.  One of my small bold moves was making an identity for the my business and making business cards in the summer of 2010. Engaging a design group to create a logo and mark for Relationships Matter Now was one of the first moves I made to bring the ideas and thoughts on my life's work to life.

Stepping out, spending money and engaging outsiders in that vision way back then was really a bold move albeit small in my eyes. There were a series of these small bold moves for the 15 months until I made what I now point to as THE bold move that changed the course of the business and subsequently my life. Without question, the small steps made me ready for the big one when it appeared. It is the simple law of momentum. Once an object is set into motion in a direction, lots of forces support the move and only a huge counter effort can stop it.

We must not waver. Once you start the journey to your life's work - you must complete it. There is no time frame but you have to take advantage of any momentum you generate and you have to make bold moves. Often.


Be ready when your bold move presents itself.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
    I'm hoping to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
    Would you suggest starting with a free platform like
    Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I'm totally overwhelmed .. Any tips? Cheers!
    Here is my blog ... homepage here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww thanks Anonymous and yes - I think you absolutely should start with something free - and Wordpress would be my choice if I were starting now. Wordpress has a ton of flexibility and opportunity for growth and expansion should you ever want to do a full website like I evolved to.

    Another tip for an aspiring writer is write every day.. a little line, a poem, a paragraph - the more your write the better you will be at it. I write weekly because writing is just one aspect of my brand but a full fledged writer should write every day.

    be well and thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete