Thursday, January 2, 2014

Want Different? Do Different: Why I'm Using A Diet To Change My Life


People who know me know that I am not a dieter. I don’t have issues with weight or food. In fact, comparatively speaking, I have good eating habits and a great relationship with food. I am proud of my food choices and respect the food choices of others.  Those facts and a host of others made it all the more puzzling my decision to do a Whole30 diet to start 2014. In case you didn’t know, Whole30 is a gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, legume-free program designed to change the way you eat for the rest of your life.

I am not interested in changing the way I eat. What I am interested in is changing my life. To date, I have had an amazing life, especially the transformation of the last 5 years. No regrets. Whatsoever.

But in preparation for the new year, it became apparent to me via my B.E.S.T. work that I cannot move my life forward on the same tools that got me to where I am today. Something very different needs to occur to move to where I want to go. In acknowledging that, my B.E.S.T. coach suggested the Whole30 diet. I only resisted for a moment.

For the raging non-compliant, type-A person that I am, being TOLD to do or not do anything is very, very tough for me. The diet itself is so restrictive plus having someone tell me to do it all but killed the experiment. Then, as quickly as I wanted/desired/intended to squash it, I embraced it. Why?

I want something different.

I want to be more effective in my current relationships and the beliefs, actions and habits I have today will not allow it to happen.

I want to take my business to the next level and again, my current beliefs, actions and habits will not get me to that place.

A complete disruption of my life by something as innocuous as blowing up the way I eat is the answer.

I am certain that this diet will illuminate to me ways to better my life, my routine and move me from here to there. “Here” is not tolerable and does not serve me any longer. “There” is only a fantasy unless I take solid action to move me to it. As I prepare to eat Whole30, I am excited for all the good that awaits me on this 30 day journey.

I want different so I am doing different.

What do you want for 2014?

What will you do differently to get it?

3 comments:

  1. So, what exactly does that leave for you to eat??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that if I eat what I have a taste for; then I'm a happier person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for both your comments -

    Anonymous 1 - it's fruit, veggies, non-peanut nuts and meat. I'm nervous but have found some great resources

    Anonymous 2 - that is true for me, too. As I wrote - I have no food goals or intention of changing my diet permanently - I am doing it for non-food reasons but if in the process I find something great to do with my diet - I'm all for it. PS - if I just ate what I had a taste for - right now, it would be all desserts and seafood - all the time.

    ReplyDelete