Monday, November 3, 2014

Faith + Preparation = Success


7th generation daredevil, Nik Wallenda set two Guinness World Records last night in the skies of my favorite city on the planet. Viewership and social engagement stats are still coming in overnight but it is safe to say that #SkyscraperLive and #NikWallenda were the hottest trending topics in the last 24 hours. Alongside the stunt and all the hype was the topic of his faith in God, Pastor Joel Osteen and the pre-event prayer. Lots of chatter last night and this morning on TV & radio about Nik's faith in God and his conversation with God as he executed his stunt live on The Discovery Channel for the world to see.

As a person of faith, I love Nik Wallenda's display but not for the reasons you think. Yes, God has given him a talent and a platform on which to exhibit his faith. God was absolutely instrumental in the success of Nik's world record attempt. But here is the nuance that I believe many miss, even those who profess deep faith:

Nik's faith was strong and secure because he was prepared.

Over and over in the last 24 hours, I've heard Nik Wallenda say that he'd practiced, trained, studied and readied himself for this opportunity. He was at peace as he walked on that wire because he knew he was ready.

How often in life are you READY for the opportunity when it presents itself?

As an entrepreneur, this hit me over and over in head witnessing this worldwide, death defying spectacle. That is what I strive for every day when I wake up. Am I prepared for an opportunity that may come my way? Have I studied? How much training must I do today to be prepared tomorrow? What skills need to be sharpened to get me closer to my goal?

My faith in God is tremendous. I acknowledge (and am eternally grateful for) the way He has blessed me with my very unique talent set and personality traits that set me apart from my competition. But it is not my faith in God alone that makes me win each day. I get up each day walking toward those blessings and the opportunity to exercise those talents He bestowed upon me. I am not waiting for the phone to ring, I am making it ring with every ounce of planning,  preparation and honing of my skills and abilities. Just as Nik Wallenda was not banking on his family history of high wire walking or that God was going to miraculously walk with him across the wire, we all must take hold of the calling we have in life.

Paul wrote in 2 Thessalonians:1:11 (New Living Translation)

So we keep on praying for you, asking our God to enable you to live a life worthy of his call. May he give you the power to accomplish all the good things your faith prompts you to do.

It is clear that there is effort expected on your part in that verse. God "enables" you to live a life worthy of His call by giving you talents, abilities, skills and desires to execute against. He give us the power to "accomplish" those through discipline and preparation.

Today, I am fired up again to continue my walk toward changing the world, one relationship at a time. 

Thanks Nik Wallenda for the reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment